General Info Diet



A bird can get into the exact same kinds of trouble a 2-year-old human child can get into.


We only want to provide our companions with the safest toys and we hope you find some guidleines to provide those.

Sleep Tents/Happy Huts: Sun counres love to chew and it can lead to danger. There are so many reported accidents from Happy Huts becomming entangled and strangling a bird not to mention loss of feet or toes. Examine it daily and make sure its safe. The following images, provided by Nicole Ryan show the dangers of a Happy Hut.

Heavy Metal Poisoning: Zinc is extremely toxic to birds. Sources include galvanized cage wire, clips or staples, bird toy snaps, zippers, keys, nails, plumbing nuts, nuts on animal transport cages, hardware cloth, padlocks, chrome, and some antirust paints, shampoos and skin preparations. Lead is also extremely toxic to birds. Common sources of lead include lead paint, lead fishing weights, curtain weights, lead frames of stained glass windows and tiffany lamps, foil from champagne bottles, lead solder, old pewter, lead batteries and weighted ashtrays and toys.Copper is also potentially toxic to birds although avian toxicity from this metal is less common. Acidic foods stored in copper containers may leach out copper, and occasionally copper piping for water is a potential source of increased copper in the diet if the water is slightly acidic and has been allowed to remain in contact with the piping for some length of time. Allowing the water from the tap to run for a few minutes before filling the water dishes will prevent this problem. Look closely at anything your bird might play with and chew including new toys. If you don't know what type of metal is on the toy then don't take the chance of them chewing it. Avoiding toys from China is a good practice. Never use a cage with rust.


CATS: Cats commonly have Pasteurella bacteria as part of their natural flora. While this bacteria is ubiquitous in cats and does them no harm, it is DEADLY to birds. If your bird is ever in a confrontation with a cat, take him to the vet immediately even if there are NO apparent wounds. The bird could still have been exposed to this bacteria. You should get your bird to a vet the same day if you think it has come in physical contact with a cat's saliva, feces, or food. This bacteria means even friendly relationships between cats and birds are not safe. Period.


Unclipped birds are at most risk when it comes to certain household hazards, such as open doors, open toilets, pots and pans on the stove (burned/boiled/drowned/covered in oil), deep water in kitchen sinks or pails, ceiling fans, electrical wires, and anything the bird could chew and ingest that could cause damage to them. Anything that could kill a small child can kill a bird.

Overheated Oil: It has been reported that overheated oil on the stovetop can be as lethal to birds as overheated teflon. Be sure that birds are removed from the kitchen immediately if you burn oil and vent the room thoroughly. Vents over ovens should be used on high at all times when cooking in a bird household.

Avocado, Chocolate, Coffee, Salt: Chocolate, coffee, and cocoa contain theobromine, which is toxic to birds. Do not give these to your birds and do not leave them out where your bird could get a hold of them. Avocado is toxic, particularly to African species, but should not be given to any birds. Parrots cannot excrete salt the way we can. High-salt foods can be harmful to them. Junk food is not good for your parrot. Avoid high-fat, high-sugar, high-salt snacks. Once in a blue moon won't kill them, but beware of giving foods like this. Do not give alcohol to your bird under any circumstances.

Cleaners, Aerosols, Candles, Plug in air fresheners, Other Household Items:While it cannot be definitively said that these substances were the cause of death, most avian specialists would advise bird owners to avoid exposing their companion birds to any strong chemicals, particularly aerosolized chemicals, due to the delicate nature of their lungs. If you use any sprays or scented products it is advisable that you remove birds from the environment until the smell has completely subsided (at least 2-3 hours). Also, do not use scented cleaners/chemicals on items the bird might chew.

Teflon: fumes are poisonous to birds
I know many people will say it's okay to use as long as you don't overheat it, but all it takes is a few minutes of inattention for a nonstick pan to overheat, releasing fumes that are known to kill birds.

~This is only a brief list of safety hazards. "Think" about your sun conure's safety before exposure to anything.